Thursday, July 07, 2005

Inhale...Exhale....


(Since I didn't get any photos on the 4th of July, I pulled out this photo of Noah from 2001. I just love the expression on his face and his fat little feet.) :)

What a crazy few days it has been. I missed doing my blog, but have a good excuse why I wasn't here. :) I have been sick on and off with bronchitis for a few weeks. Sunday and Monday were really bad days for me, breathing-wise, and on the 4th of July David had to take me to the ER because I literally couldn't get a good breath. I knew I needed breathing treatments, so we went to the hospital. They actually admitted me for 36 hours this time to figure out what was going on. I was diagnosed with asthma, brought on by the bronchitis. They aren't sure if I'll always have asthma and won't know until the next time I get sick. So now I'm home, on plenty of medication and using a nebulizer every 4-6 hours to help with getting my breathing back to normal. I am SO incredibly sore all over my back and chest from coughing and trying to get a good breath. I'm on strict rest for at least a week, until my breathing improves and the pain subsides. My husband, son, and family have been SO helpful and supportive and I can't wait to feel better. I'm tired of this keeping me down, especially during the summer! I did thank God, though, that it happened after our vacation to Disneyworld in May. It could have been worse! :)

I probably won't have a whole lot to blog about since I'm supposed to be resting, but I'm sure I can find something to say. I usually do. This whole time of being sick has really made me thankful for what God has given me in my life. I am so blessed each day to wake up surrounded by so many of God's gifts, most importantly my husband and son. I am so glad God led me to simplify my life so I can enjoy the small moments of each day. Those are the ones that count the most anyway, right? I think this is why I enjoy scrapbooking "moments" so much. Those little times that you are likely to forget but have such a significant impact on you when they happen.

Speaking of little moments....I just got called into Noah's playroom because he and his cousin Luke stuck Legos up their noses and couldn't get them out. If they hadn't been crying I would have taken a photo! BOYS!

Ok, here is my recipe to share today. I have been buying lots of berries every time I go to the grocery store. We eat a lot of them, but I also like to freeze them for winter desserts. Two years ago David and I went to the Inn Above Onion Creek (bed and breakfast) for his birthday. For dinner that evening we had a delicious Berry Crisp topped with warm cream. I asked the owner for the recipe and she happily gave it to me! You can substitute ANY fruit in combination in this recipe, so I like to use blackberries, blueberries, or peaches, too. Just make sure you use an equal amount of fruit as used in the recipe. Any of them work and are incredibly delicious. The recipe comes from Gourmet magazine, November 2003. I like to make this anytime of year, depending on the fruit that is in season or what I have frozen.

Apple Walnut Crisp
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/8 cups old-fashioned oats
1 1/8 cups packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 cups walnuts (5 oz.) toasted, cooled and firmly chopped (you can skip the toasting. You can also use pecans, if you prefer)
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into 1/2" cubes and softened
4 1/2 lbs. Gala apples (or 3 cups of any fruit, lightly sprinkled with sugar)
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9x12 glass or ceramic baking dish. (3-3.5 quarts) Stir together flour, oats, brown sugar, walnuts, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl. Blend in butter with your fingertips, squeezing together, until mixture forms small clumps.

Peel and core the apples and cut into 1/4" thick wedges. Toss with a little bit of granulated sugar and the lemon juice (prevents browning) and flour in a large bowl. Transfer to baking dish, spreading evenly.

Crumble oat topping evenly over apple mixture and bake until topping is golden and apples are tender, about 45 minutes. Cool slightly and serve warm. Makes 8-10 servings.

**You can top the crisp with vanilla ice cream or warm up a small pitcher of 1/2 and 1/2 and pour a little on top of the crisp crust. YUMMY!

---------
Have a wonderful rest of your week!
- Jennifer

"As for God, His way is perfect; the word of the Lord is flawless.
He is a shield for all who take refuge in Him." Psalm 18:30


No comments: