Wednesday, August 22, 2007

8.22.07

I can't believe I'm the mom of a 2nd grader.
I loved my second grade year because my teacher would "let" me clean off her desk.
Ha! Smart teacher. :)
Noah started second grade this week...and after I dropped him off I went and had a pedicure. Last year I cried. This year I got a pedicure. LOL. He was actually VERY excited about school this year, about seeing his friends, and about learning. He loves history and science, just like his Daddy. Him not crying made it a lot easier for me. (to go get a pedicure, lol) Tomorrow is a haircut!
~~>
I only have two more kits over there of the Seasonal Memories magnet books and 4 of the Family Photo Blocks. Get 'em while you can! I won't be restocking those. I'm actually working on 3-4 new classes and will put those kits up for sale sometime in the next month. Etsy is great for people who aren't nearby to take a class!
Two nights ago I tried a new Baked Ziti recipe and it was a hit! I made my own modifications, so it's really a much different recipe than the original. So I'll post it below as my own. (I know the sour cream sounds strange, but it doesn't taste like sour cream in the dish and makes it REALLY yummy. There's really very little of it in the recipe anyway)
Baked Ziti
10 oz. of tube pasta (penne, ziti, rigatoni)
3/4 lb. lean ground beef
1 med. onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
6 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp. dry Italian seasoning
1 jar (14 oz) spaghetti sauce (use a GOOD one; No Ragu allowed!) :D
2 cups shredded mozzarella or Italian blend cheese
3/4 c. cup sour cream
1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 3 qt. baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
In a large skillet, brown beef over medium heat. Add onions; saute until tender. Add garlic and saute another two minutes. Add sliced mushrooms and dry Italian seasoning and saute another 4-5 minutes until mushrooms are done. Drain off fat and add spaghetti sauce; simmer for about 15 minutes. (Note: Use a lean ground beef and you won't have fat to drain off)
Stir 1/4 cup of the sour cream into the cooked pasta. (stir well!)
In the baking dish, place about half of the pasta; top with 1/2 of the Mozzarella cheese and 1/2 of the Parmesan cheese. Spread on a layer of half the spaghetti sauce/meat mixture and top with 1/4 c. of sour cream, spread on top of the sauce mixture. Repeat layers, saving some of the Parmesan cheese for the very top. Sprinkle top with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until cheese and sauce are bubbly. Let sit for 5 minutes. Serve with garlic bread and a green salad. Yum!
Oh yeah.....new 80's video over on the right! ~~~> :D
Blessings,
Jennifer
"Learn as much as you can while you are young, since life becomes so busy later." ~Dana Stewart Scott

6 comments:

Tabitha said...

thanks for the recipe. I will have to try it. What a handsom cuite and yeah for the pedicure!

Anonymous said...

Noah looks so cute! And thanks for the recipe! It sounds yummy!

Nicole said...

my Mom and i always go to breakfast after dropping my daighter off on the 1st day...so a pedicure sounds pretty good!! =)

Anonymous said...

Ummm... recipee sounds delish, thanks for sharing.

debbie v said...

Hi Girl....just wanted to pop on and say hey. Lucky you...we still have a week...and I think my kids are as anxious to go to school as I am to get them there!!! Gotta try that recipie!!
debv

Anonymous said...

Oh I was just looking for a good recipe for some company we are having tomorrow night and I just found it! Thanks SO much! YUM!!! ;)