Saturday, September 19, 2009

9.19.09

Happy Saturday, everyone :)

Busy creating a few projects and layouts to showcase some of the products for my retreat vendor store. At least it's getting me to create and scrapbook!

I hope you're having a good weekend. Since I don't have a whole lot to blog about at the moment, I thought I'd share a recipe. A couple of weeks ago I made homemade waffles and wow, these were the best ever. Really light and fluffy and crisp. They take a little longer to make but are SO WORTH IT. Make a double or triple batch and freeze the leftovers. They heat up beautifully in the toaster!

Best Waffles Ever
from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook

Ingredients:

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 lg. egg yolks
1 3/4 cups milk
1/2 cup melted butter, cooled (I used Smart Balance 50/50 blend)
2 lg. egg whites

Directions:
1. In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt with a whisk (this will "sift" it). Make a well in the center.
2. In another bowl beat egg yolks slightly. Stir in milk and butter.
3. Add egg yolk mixture all at once to the dry mixture. Stir just ’til moistened (should be slightly lumpy).
4. In a small bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight up).
5. Gently fold egg whites into flour and egg yolk mixture, leaving a few fluffs of egg white, Do not overmix.
6. Spoon waffle batter into your waffle iron, making sure not to overfill it.
7. Serve with real maple syrup and unsalted butter.

3 comments:

Grace said...

Cute Cute cute...love it!

Roberta said...

Lovely Jennifer and the waffles sound yummy...never thought about taking out the egg yolks and that's probably what keeps them light. I also add vanilla to my mix...and I'm bad cause I sprinkle powdered sugar on top...I used to tell my boys it was my "love dust"...still love to cook for them when they come home. Have a great weekend, fondly, Roberta

carolyn peeler said...

hmmm....I recognize a few of the products in that photo :)
Looking fab Jennifer!