Monday, September 29, 2008

Inspiration Journal

Hi! In a few weeks I'll be attending a weekend scrapbooking retreat. Can't wait to just sit and scrapbook for 3 days! I've been collecting some favorite layout elements, color combinations, and inspirational ideas for a while and recently decided to put them all into a notebook. But I wasn't really happy with the plain spiral notebook I was using...so I decided I'd use an old worship hymnal instead. Oh, how I love this now. :)

Whenever I look thru scrapbooking magazines and see a layout I admire, I like to note exactly what it is about that layout that I like. Is it the color combination? The placement of the photos and elements? The use of patterned paper? The graphic design and the way the colors and spaces are broken up? I don't scraplift entire layouts. I like to be inspired by *parts* of layouts. So, I cut the layout out of the magazine, write on the page with a sharpie marker what it is that I like about it and (previously) would put that cut out layout into a notebook of ideas. I gathered up all of these written on/marked up/cut out layouts and put them into this vintage hymnal. I also included non-scrapbooking things such as quotes and Country Living and Romantic Home magazine photos that inspire color combinations. I taped the magazine swatches right onto the hymnal page. Nothing fancy. Since the hymnal pages are quite fragile, I attached a small page turner element on the end of each page - velvet ribbon, lace, ledger tags, seam binding, even some velvet leaves. And to decorate the front, I used a quote page from Country Living magazine. (they always have the last page of each issue dedicated to a gorgeous photo/quote) I added some vintage buttons, a millinery hat flower, an old pink hinge and even attached a German glass-glittered little star. It's heavy and beautiful and will go with me lots of fun places. I can't wait to completely fill it with pretty ideas!

You could use this idea for lots of different things - home decor, holiday gifts, redecorating ideas, the possibilities are endless. Just make it something you love. And hey...if the uneven cut out pages, scotch tape, and hymnal showing thru drives you nuts...do this with a plain, new notebook! :)

Here are lots of photos. Click on any of them to see a larger view...
















We had a WONDERFUL time at the ACL Music Festival this weekend.
I think my favorite group of the entire weekend was Belleville Outfit.
They were so much fun!
Have a good evening!

15 comments:

stephanie howell said...

sigh.
i think i'm in love- it's beautiful.
beautiful beautiful.

Unknown said...

Oh Jenn...
that is the most beautiful thing I've seen in such a long time. I too, like Stephanie.. am in love...lol
ummmm can you make me one too... j/k
I *love* the vintage look, but I'm not sure if I could pull it off, I'm such a clean/linear scrapper.. and not much an an alter-er anymore...kwim? It's really beautiful, and I love how you arrange your inspiration on the pages... where you can still see song of the hymnal songs peeking through! GORGEOUS!!! ~Dawn

Liane said...

beautiful! Love your work, as always....

Karen Lambert said...

Awesome inspiration book. And I love the old hymnal. What a neat way to take something that was once beautiful and well loved and make it new and beautiful again.

Sarah Coggins said...

Gorgeous! What an awesome re-use. Love all the ribbons. tfs! :)

Anonymous said...

Totally diggin your hymnal. Give it to me...now!
xoxo

Teresa McFayden
http://teresamcfayden.typepad.com

Sarah said...

So beautiful! You are so good at that kind of thing! Me, not so much, so I love to look at yours! Thanks for sharing with us!

Cindy Andrews said...

Simply beautiful...
Great job, Jen and TFS!

vtpuggirl said...

Amazingly beautiful, and so functional at the same time. Perfection indeed!

Lily said...

ou are so organized and that book is amazing

Pearl Maple said...

Perfect combination of old and new and everything in between, great journal. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration with everyone.

Rosanne said...

Beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

Jennifer

Absolutely stunning! Thanks for sharing your creative mind with us. Glad you had a good time at the concerts

Marilyn C
Oakland TN

Snippety Gibbet said...

Really a beautiful book. Very nice.

Anonymous said...

Love that inspiration journal!