Monday, June 02, 2008

6.2.08

Source Flickr: B&W Old Screen Door

Nothing makes you feel as adult as home improvement projects do. Growing up, it seemed that there was always a project going on. I grew up in a small town in a huge 3-story 1800's house. (It was absolutely wonderful and it's still gorgeous, just another family lives there now.) My parents were always remodeling, especially during the summer when schedules were non-existent. I remember an entire summer when our kitchen was being overhauled. My mom cooked all of our meals in the bathroom...on the counter in an electric skillet. Go, mom!

We're not doing anything major around here. Just some painting, new wood flooring in the living room, rearranging furniture, and a new screen door for the back door. I've always wanted a screen door. You know, the kind your grandma had that slammed behind you as you ran outside? That kind. I'm going to paint it black, distress it a bit, and will love hearing it open and close this summer. :) David will probably say, "quit distressing it. You're making it look old!" Well, yeah.

This is the paint color we're using for our main family/living room. (I just found this photo online of a guy who used the color in his home. This is NOT my house, lol.) It's Valspar Cincinnatian Hotel Carl Tan from their historic color collection. I like it...very warm and neutral. We have a lot of tan, chocolate brown, white and ivory in this room and I change out the accent color by changing the sofa pillows - sometimes red, then robin egg blue, then orange-apricot - an easy way to make a little change.

Also going to have hardwood flooring installed in the same room. It will match the hardwood that is already in the hallways and dining room.

We'll be painting the library room as well. I'm thinking maybe an olive green? That just sounds like a "library" color.

We also went and looked at dogs yesterday, lol. Noah really, really wants one this summer and it would be a perfect time since he's home to help with training. He wants a big, runs around with boys dog, such as a golden retriever. I couldn't talk him into a Yorkiepoo. :) We'll see what happens....

14 comments:

Teresa said...

Tell Noah that Bailey and I recommend a BEAGLE, LOL! Do you have a fenced yard?

Liane said...

LOL We just got the gutters cleaned and I was whining about how when you are a kid you never have to budget for that!

Anonymous said...

I love that color - time to see if I can talk DH into painting again. I highly recommend getting Noah a dog - my ds who is the same age loves our dog. After a lot of research we decided on a Golden Doodle (retriever/standard poodle mix). We got her in February for his and my dd's (13) birthday. She is by far the smartest best natured dog I've ever had and my kids love her - she's also the biggest dog I've ever had! It's so cute to see them playing in the yard or wrestling in the family room! Good luck on the dog hunt!

Stephany
Louisville, KY

stephanie howell said...

ooh, love that color.
we just got the paint for our front door and shutters...yay!!
i love home improvements!

Anonymous said...

I love the old couch in the pool room. Did you distress the couch? LOL

My friend bought an old, three story 1898 house and is in the never ending process of remodeling. Your floors look better without any holes giving a view of the room below.

Jennifer Stewart said...

People, that is NOT my house in the photos, lol. I just found a guy online who had used the same paint color that we are using, so I was posting the photo link to show what it looks like on the wall. Not my house or my floors, lol. :)

Jennifer

Jen Martakis said...

Love the color you chose. I would love an old screen door like that. LOL at knowing your husband will say that you're making it look old. heehee

Anonymous said...

we have a golden retriever, she's 10yrs now, never a medical problem and such a loving/loyal friend. they are a handful when they are puppies but way too cute. beware that as puppies they are nippy and may "chew" but our puppy was so easily trained! we trained her to do her "business" is a special area of the yard! I grew up having german shepherds and always loved that breed. as an adult my first dog was a cocker spaniel but now i don't think i'd ever switch from the 'goldens'
we have 4 children so our Casey did tolerate quite alot of kid attention :)

Jason and Heather said...

Just so you know Jennifer, I'm in the middle of restoring the house, furniture, and the FLOORS. Once I refinish the floors, which are heart pine, they will look much better than any new floor ever could.

Anita K. said...

Have you looked at any of the Golden Retriever Rescue groups? We got our "Matt" 3 years ago from Golden Beginnings in Houston. He is the best and I will never get another breed. There is also Golden Retriever Rescue of Houston, Golden Retriever Rescue of N. Texas, etc. Matt was approx. 1 1/2 - 2 when we got him and has never had an accident. He just wants to be with us and please us.

Anonymous said...

Come on Jen, admit the house is yours.


Laurie<....gdr

mnstampinmom

Patti Erickson said...

We have a yellow lab who is almost 2. Puppies are a handful, but if you can train and keep your sanity, you will have a wonderful dog in a couple years. Our lab is the first for our family (my parents always had labs when I was growing up) and is very gentle with and protective of my three kids. Can't wait to see a photo of your new addition.

Marcie said...

I have the perfect solution for your graham crackers Jennifer...
www.burpingbowls.net
Tupperware!
We have had goldens for 11 years, they're great dogs and my 2 boys love to play with them.
We've got a screen door that must be similar to what you're describing and you're right, it's a beautiful sound to hear the boys running in and out of the house, the screen door slamming behind them, etc. Lots of things in your post hit home with me today!
Marcie

iffer@AOL.com said...

Jen, We've got a golden retriever and she is FABULOUS with the kids. She's trained to sit in our front yard without a leash and just sits and watches the kids, if they go further than she'd like she follows them to make sure they're OK. Right now she's sleeping in Brendan's room. :-) They really are great family dogs, and she does run around with our son! We're going to get a beagle next month, already picked one out. They're great family dogs too.

Hugs!