Monday, April 17, 2006

Fireflies and Eggs Revisited...


All of the Easter decorations are stacked on the counter, ready to be put away. Easter candy is incorporated into a Ziploc bag. The last traces of Easter grass are picked up off of the carpet. Ahhh....I'm always glad to move on and get things picked up when the holiday is over. We had a house FULL yesterday and it was fun. (I think there were 26 people here?) But it was hot...ugh, 90's already. Thank you, Lord, for our backyard trees and the shade!

This week is preparation for Noah's 6th birthday party on Saturday. Looking forward to that! :) I've got my "to do" list made out for the rest of the week, dividing my daily chores into equal parts so I'm sure to get everything done by Friday.

This week is also my best friend Marley's birthday! We live a few hours apart, but we always mail each other a birthday gift. :) We've been friends since we were 6 years old and our Moms are best friends, too. (they met when Marley and I were in 1st grade together) Marley and I have very similar decorating tastes, so when I saw this Firefly Jar (pictured above) I knew she'd LOVE IT! It's a glass jar (hers has a summery/lime green lid) with a battery-operated small strand of dimly-lit fireflies in it! They attach to the lid to the battery pack so you can't see that part. The jar I bought is a little more vintage-looking and also has a branch of greenery in it for the fireflies. It is just precious! You can use it as a nightlight inside or you can take it outside for a nice little light on the back porch. I asked about battery life, but it only runs on 2 AA batteries..and I have clocks that run on one. So the batteries should last quite a while. I had a hard time not buying one for myself! :) I got mine at a local store, but you can get one online at the link above as well.


Have you seen the We R Memory Keepers' Comstock and Urban Windows collections? They are SO CUTE and I can't wait to work with them! Here is link to see all of the collections in one place: Comstock and Urban Windows. I really love the Kitchen, Summertime, and Boho Chic. :)

Know what Noah got in his Easter basket? A self-inflating whoopie cushion. All of the males in attendance for Easter yesterday were amazed and said, "oh MAN! Why didn't I think of that??" I have a feeling a male DID. It's pretty funny, though! No more blowing it up. Just release the pressure and it blows back up. How convenient. :)

This week I plan on making Migas for dinner. Really yummy, spicy version of scrambled eggs..but so much better! Here's the recipe:


Jennifer's Migas

I don't really have a set amount for all ingredients, sorry...just follow along. :) This is also wonderful for a late Saturday breakfast or brunch!

1. In a large skillet, fry 8 slices of bacon. When crisp, remove from skillet, leaving bacon grease in the pan. (if there is an excess amount, pour some off. I use leaner bacon) Crumble the bacon when cooled and set aside.

2. Cut 8 corn tortillas into short strips. Dice one medium onion. Over medium heat with the bacon grease in the skillet, fry the onions until almost translucent. Add the tortilla strips to the pan and fry until slightly crispy. Remove onion and tortilla strips from skillet and drain on paper towel. Set aside.(*note: You can also add fresh sliced mushrooms to this step)

3. Break 8 eggs into a bowl and fork stir with a small amount of milk or cream until all yolks are well-incorporated. With just a small amount of the bacon grease left in the skillet, over medium heat add the egg mixture. Stir until lumpy, then begin folding over the egg mixture so it becomes fluffy. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Turn off the heat.

4. Add the onion/tortilla mixture to the cooked eggs and mix well. Sprinkle bacon on top. Top with shredded cheese (cheddar, jack, whatever you like) and cover with lid. Let sit for a few minutes until the cheese is melted. Dice 1-2 tomatoes. Uncover the skillet and sprinkle with tomatoes.

5. Serve with salsa and jalapenos (optional of course, but good!)

Have a blessed evening! :)

- Jennifer

"If I throw out a boathook from the boat and catch hold of the shore and pull, do I pull the shore to me, or do I pull myself to the shore? Prayer is not pulling God to my will, but the aligning of my will to the will of God." - Eli E. Stanley Jones

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOooh that sounds like some yummy kinda treat! :)

Sounds like you enjoyed your day yesterday! :)

Have a great week!

Bridget said...

Jennifer, I can't wait to see what you do with the Boho Chic paper. I did a layout with it, and I loved the results.

Anonymous said...

Where did you find your firefly jar? I'd love to pick one up!
Love the Boho Chic line too, we had it at the store for about 5 minutes! It flew out the door!
Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Unknown said...

FIREFLY JAR - way cool idea!
and oh, CONGRATS on the DT..I wish I knew they needed folks!! I *heart* their stuff!!! Do they have a site? email it to me please.
Glad you are doing great!! HUGS
~Dawn

... said...

Hey Jen, I heard it was really really hot there, like in the 100's, whoowie, not that's Texas hot alright. So glad yall had a blessed Easter. I love that pic of your back yard, nothin like a Texas yard for sure :)

Jana said...

OH my, that jar is just too cute. I'm sure that Marley will LOVE it. Hope the party preparations go well!

Jenn said...

That jar is very cool! I am glad Noah had a fun Easter with his whoopie cushion! My boys would have thought that was the best! I am going to be gone this weekend, so I am going to say "Happy birthday, Noah!" a little early... :0)

justem said...

I have seen that firefly jar...it is so cute!!! Glad to haear you had a nice Easter!

Anonymous said...

Jennifer, cool firefly jar I love it. Thanks for the links and the new papers are gorgeous, can't wait to see your creations.
Lorry

Anonymous said...

I saw that Firefly jar at a friends house and she couldn`t remember where is got it. Can you tell me where you found it? I`m looking for the one in the pic. I moved from Calif to Tx about 20 years ago, when I saw real Fireflys I went crazy. I had only seen them on the Pirates ride at Disneyland!